Sunday, September 19, 2010

Penguins, Walruses, and Dan Aykroyd?? - "50 First Dates"

Movie Title - "50 First Dates"
Date Viewed - 9/19/10
Ratings - Both of us gave this film 3.5 peanut butter cups out of 5

It's strange to me that I gave this movie the same rating as my DH, since I used to be kind of anti-"50 First Dates," while he and my mom used to try and convince me this was a really cute and funny film.  DH is a huge Adam Sandler fan, so we will be watching almost all of his films at some point in this series.  Most people have also seen the other Sandler/Drew Barrymore movie, "The Wedding Singer," and at first I found myself making comparisons...there's even a version of the song "Hold Me Now" in both.  Both movies are kind of typical in the sense that boy meets girl, boy and girl fall for each other, boy loses girl, and boy gets girl in the end.  That's why I don't think either film really warrants more than a "4" rating (we'll see if I change my mind about "The Wedding Singer" later...probably a couple of years from now).  This movie has some really dark moments, though, each time Lucy (Barrymore) is reminded of her accident and the resulting memory loss.  That darkness is contrasted with Rob Schneider's zaniness as Henry's (Sandler's) best friend.  I happen to love the really ridiculous and immature humor of Sandler's earlier films, so I was happy to see that kept alive a bit in this one.  I also found myself being totally girly in my enjoyment of the romance.  Sometimes I hate the estrogen factor, but I can't help it.  DH has seen the whole film a few times, but I don't think I'd ever seen the beginning before, so I had no idea Henry was actually a jigalo before he meets Lucy.  I also had no recollection of Dan Aykroyd playing her doctor.  Overall, an entertaining movie, but probably one that we'll still end up watching in pieces when it's on cable, rather than going to the trouble to pop in the DVD.

Up Next?  "About Schmidt"

No comments:

Post a Comment