Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I'm Going to Yamo Burn This Place to the Ground - "The 40-Year-Old Virgin"

Movie Title - "The 40-Year-Old Virgin"
Date Viewed - 9/15/10
Ratings - Me = 3.5 out of 5 action figures, DH = 4 out of 5 action figures

This is a movie we were both pretty familiar with...I remember that this was the first time we were really introduced to Judd Apatow and his cast of characters.  After I first saw "Anchorman" (to be viewed later in our film journey), I thought Steve Carell was definitely a breakout star, and this film proves me right.  Having seen this movie a few times, there are a few scenes that always make us laugh: "Yamo be there," the chest waxing, speed dating, "You know how I know you're gay?", Jane Lynch singing about the soccer game, french toast, "putting the pussy on a pedestal," etc.  There are top-notch improv comics in this film, not to mention Leslie Mann's hilarious breakout performance (it went kind of downhill from there, huh?).  My complaint is really just the length.  If it was a little shorter, I think I would've given it  4 out of 5 action figures, instead of 3.5.  Also, I found there were some slower moments, and I never buy the Andy/Trish romance (DH finds that pairing a little weird, too).  The version we own on DVD seems to have a few extra scenes that I don't remember seeing in theaters...probably due to their graphic nature.  At its heart, though, this movie does have a message about what makes a great relationship, and how sex can change things.  Oh, and the ending is pretty classic...strange, but classic. 

Dinner was something the DH made, and it was delicious, so just like Andy in this movie, he's a great cook.  Definitely not a virgin, but a great cook, ha ha.   Up next?  We can't find "50 First Dates," but we knew we did own it at some point (DH is a huge Sandler fan), so we're planning on buying it again and watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment